Wednesday, November 11, 2015

These here are my desires.

I'm in need of a word. I wanted to give this entry a one word title to sum up the buzz in my head. Equal parts excitement, sadness, adventure, curiosity, nerves and happiness. What on earth do you call that?

Nersadventuriosity?

Hapadnessiture?

I flew out of beautiful Rarotonga this morning, an end destination of Hanoi in Vietnam. In order to get there, I have a fantastic 18 hours to while away in the Auckland Airport. A good friend suggested that I see if any of the fancy lounges would let me pay to stay for the day.

Brilliant f$*@ing plan!

I am currently draped over two chairs, ensconsed in my own happy little corner of the Emperor Lounge. $99 NZD has afforded me all that I can eat, drink and google for 14 hours. Shit yes.

My little coffee table island is littered with a tea cup, empty plates, a glass now missing it's gin and tonic contents and a half finished Monteiths Ale. Thirsty? Just raid the fridge. Hungry? Just hit up the delectable buffet line next door. Dusty from your travels? No worries my friend, there's a private shower with your name on it.

I was anxious to get here, even just to sit in an airport in Auckland, I just wanted to touch ground in NZ for a bit. The wheels hit the ground and my heart thudded into my throat. This country has some sort of weird magnetic hold on me. My bones just want to be here.

To my great surprise and joy I was granted a 3 month visitor's visa on arrival. I had to fight myself to keep from just buying a ticket to Dunedin. I want to be on the peninsula. I want to have a freaking Velvet Burger. I want to go for a run at Ross Creek. I want my coffee dates back damn it!

As phenomenal as the team in Rarotonga was, I've been sorely missing my Dunedin crew lately. More so because internet was hard to come by in Raro - which has its pros and cons - but a short video call with a majority of the A Team massively boosted my reserves. My heart has settled back into my rib cage and has resigned itself to wait it out with my head. I do have to avoid the windows in the airport though.

As exhausted as I am, this has been the perfect stopover. My head is settled, my heart is content and my belly is full! In a few more hours it'll be time to take a nice deep breath, fill my lungs with some crisp NZ air and leap into my solo travel adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment