Sunday, July 28, 2013

It's Ya-hoo, not Yee-haw

A short flight the following morning has us landing in the Calgary International Airport. Everyone except for John Wayne was in the same flight (his took off a few minutes before ours). So a herd of kiwi’s and one crazy American meander over to baggage claim, snag our respective suitcases and head towards the pick up area. As we walk out of the airport, a car majestically appears in front of us and out hops John Wayne’s fiancĂ©, The Fox.

You can’t help but immediately see why he loves her so much; as she may be the nicest, most adorable person you’ll ever meet. Plus, she’s got to be crafty (like a fox) to get a native born kiwi to leave that ungodly beautiful country and his wonderful family (whom I already love at this point) for the other side of the planet. And if seeing it isn’t evidence enough, just stand in a room with the two of them for any length of time and you can feel it.  These two are the perfect compliment to one another, but I digress.

The Fox collected the first round of passengers and The Professor, Captain Awesome, John Wayne and I hopped in the second car piloted by the Fox’s mother. Our car, as it turns out, was a little finicky when it came to operating for extensive periods of time. For example: a 45-minute drive from Calgary to Strathmore. It made its opinion known by promptly loosing all power not once, not twice, but three times while we cruised at rather fast speeds along some of the straightest roads EVER.  

Not to fear! Our unwilling chariots owner was only a phone call away! And apparently this was not a new issue. Just turn it off, half way turn it on until the buzzing sound stops, turn it off, turn the key backwards, then halfway on again, point your tongue due east, curl your left big toe and BAM, she’s up and running.

When we arrived at Camp Acer (more commonly known as John Wayne and The Fox’s house), The Professor, Captain Awesome and I were shown to our shared abode for the next 4 days. A sweet ass RV. 

YES. 

You read that right. 

SWEET ASS RV. 

I am, of course, excited as I’ve never stayed in an RV before, but have always wanted to. Scratch that one off the bucket list. The Fox had cunningly borrowed this particular model from a relative and had kindly parked it in their back yard for our use. Freaking genius.

Now my darlings, the following are a series of factual events that occurred that evening. No amount of literary fluff is needed, so we’re going to do this thing bullet style…
  • Slow pitch softball is a BIG DEAL in Strathmore.
  • As is drinking beer whilst playing said game. (Go Caboozers!!)
  • Websites are great for storing information about games, ieweather conditions, cancellations, etc. 
  • There are three important ingredients to a nice night of slow pitch
    1. Dinner should be fast and easy to cook
    2. Check the website before leaving the house
    3. Designate a place for the car keys to stay when no one is in the vehicle
Needless to say, the important ingredients were not exactly following to mixing instructions....We were running late already, forgot to check the website, the game we were going to ended up being cancelled, and when we arrived there and found this out.....we also discovered that the keys were locked in the car. Along with all of the gear, and more importantly...all of the beer. Issue. 

ENTER: MAF

This man has some long hair. Not just your average silky locks though. We're talking Metallica when they had long power hair. It is also rather important to note that he is heavy metal music in human form. A real life, modern day, Canadian metal disciple. And he can smack the shit out of a freaking softball. 

Coincidentally, he also owns one of the neatest coolers, and even better its full of beer. We are all best friends immediately. After a relaxing evening at the ballpark enjoying some slow pitch observation (as another team was playing). We returned home to rest up for the next day.

In the middle of setting up for the wedding the following weekend, we also got to play tourist in the city of Calgary. What might be the ultimate Calgary experience you ask? Why, The Calgary Stampede of course! 

We spent basically an entire day there, taking in the sights, eating interesting fried items and the highlight event, watching a real live rodeo. Complete with chuck wagon races. I've seen most of these events on TV at some point in time, but you really do gain a whole new appreciation for what these men and women do when you see it live. Especially the bull riders. Those guys are NUTS.

Over the next few days I had a lot of great conversations with a variety of different kiwis and Canadians. John and The Fox both are blessed with some absolutely fantastic families and friends. Regardless of whether they were visitors or native to the area, everyone involved with their wedding was incredibly gracious and helpful. From offering extra rooms to house people, to making sandwiches to feed work crews at the wedding site. It was a huge and very impressive team effort. 

Turnaround - Take Two

My flight was set to fly out Sunday morning, so Saturday morning was my last little moment with The Professor until I make the big move later this year. He and the boys, along with the rest of the visiting kiwis, were driving to Banff later that day. John Wayne's family was touring the city while the boys were going out for the big stag party. I said my farewells that morning and The Fox and I drove to her grandmothers home where I would be staying the night (as she lived near the airport). 

Her grandparents have got to be some of the sweetest most loving people. I was welcomed into their GORGEOUS home with open arms, offered a glass of wine and a comfy chair over looking the lake behind their property. Yup. True story. While there, they discovered that my mother (who is a fantastic seamstress) has taught her daughter wonderful things....like how to tie the perfect bow. Oddly enough, bows are in high demand when a wedding's coming up, so we made a little bow factory right there in their living room.

Chit chatting as we worked, we talked about all of the fantastic details that were going to be involved with the upcoming nuptials. I was so sad that I had to leave, as it sounded like it was going to be the most perfect day. Expressing my disappointment at my looming flight home....they said "Well, why don't you just stay?!" It took little convincing. A quick plan was formed, as The Professors birthday fell on the upcoming Monday. So I turned into extra helping hands for the wedding and a birthday surprise for the best man. ::grin:: 

I ended up heading back to Strathmore with The Fox, planning to go out with the girls initially, but changing plans last minute to stay home and enjoy a book, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I can safely say that I read this book at a perfect time in my life. The Fox had also read (and loved it), giving me great advice to read it with a pencil, underlining things that grab your attention. Genius. I encourage you to read it. It wont take long.

Side Note: The next morning.....The Fox is in the kitchen. Looking for cheese. But it is nowhere to be found. Issue. They had made nachos last night when they got back. So there WAS cheese. Last night. Issue. A whole block of it. GONE. The Fox ate a whole block of cheese. A week before her wedding. ISSUE. 

Fast forward to Monday. We are back in Calgary, headed back to her grandmas to meet everyone for lunch. Mind you, no one knows that I'm still here. We arrive and wait for the caravan to show up. And this is where I start to get nervous. The "what ifs" parade through my train of thought. I do my best to stuff that all to the back and ignore it. Casually placing myself in the kitchen, out of view from the front entrance, I wait as the cars pull up out front. 

When you walk in this house, you attention is immediately drawn to the floor to ceiling windows on the far wall, showcasing the lakeside views. You don't see in the kitchen until you've walked past the counter. So that is where I wait. Grinning.

Poor professor. He'd said his farewells, helped me load my things in the car, and probably immediately started growing his beard out. I cant confirm this, but I also assume that he was looking forward to having a bed to himself. 

Nope.

His face was priceless. Walking past the counter, still captivated by the view, he finally turns his attention to the kitchen. Eye contact. Double take. Triple take. "Wha? What are you doing here?" Followed by my favorite half grin. 

"Happy Birthday!" I say with a smile on my face. 

And the man who hates to be the center of attention, is now the center of attention as everyone around us is grinning and laughing. 

Return to: "Get Out."





1 comment: