Also, Canmericans reunite!
This is gonna be a long one....
SO.
The lovely folks at Omega Rental Cars are brave enough to entrust us with a vehicle designed to drive on the wrong side of the road. What more can I say.
Day One: Beyonceeeee
Nelson to Franz Josef: roughly 7 hours in the car.
Fact: Cat has the BEST music selection on her phone. Win.
Leaving Nelson around noon with our Canadian in the backseat, we arrived in Franz Josef late that night. I promptly passed the hell out.
Day Two: Glacier to Adrenaline Capital
Franz Josef to Queenstown: roughly 6 hours
1. Glaciers, while of great geological significance, are not thus far not the coolest thing I've ever laid eyes on. What they carve out, however, is AMAZING.
2. No socks + tennis shoes = blister
3. Left side driving is terrifying through roundabouts.
We landed in Queenstown for a few days, exploring the area, and unsuccessfully trying to catch a rugby game.
Day 5: Queenstown to Glenorchy to Milford Sound
I dont even know how many hours. But it was one hell of a drive....
Leaving Queenstown, we cruised over to Glenorchy for....Horseback Riding!! Katie and I rode through a few Lord of the Rings filming sites, a few river crossings, lake views, horses spooking at birds, nothing out of the ordinary.
From Glenorchy we drove back thru Queenstown, dropping Blue Ivy off for a quick check up. She'd been sounding a bit squeaky and we were headed into some pretty steep territory. I like brakes that work.
Oddly enough, hers were SHOT. So we got a new rental! Meet Bruno Timberlake Mars. He's a sweet cruiser with working speakers and killer pick up! I could actually pass people in this boat!
The drive to Milford was insane. Gorgeous views, the craziest tunnel EVER, and some of the most raw scenery that I have seen to date. I have now seen mountains from the ground my dears, and they are even more spectacular to stare up at as they are to stare down upon. Now I want to climb one....
Milford Sound. No words. I can hardly believe that before we left for NZ, I wasn't sure that we were really going to make it down there. I cannot tell you how brilliant everything was. And my god! The stars! Imagine the best night skyline you've ever seen, multiply its beauty and the brightness of the stars 10 fold.
If you add anything to your bucket list, make it Milford.
I snagged a lovely little cruise, talked to a sweet Irish family while we gaped at the scenery. Just freaking unreal.
Day 7: Milford Sound to Dunedin
Long. Ass. Drive.
No. Really. I was a big ball of incoherent when we finally rolled into Dunedin. Food was required stat, or I was going to keel over right there in the street.
Meet the love of my life: Velvet Burger. If you are EVER in Dunedin. Please dear god, go to Velvet Burger. Get a Homegrown and devour that sucker. You wont be disappointed.
Dunedin gets its very own post, so I wont elaborate too much here.
We ended up staying in town for 6 days, which was the perfect break from the non-stop cross country touring we'd been doing thus far.
Day 14: Dunedin to Christchurch to Kaikoura
Pace yourself. Dunedin -> Chch = 5 hours. Chch -> Kaikoura = 3ish hours
Leaving the lovely city of Dunedin, we snaked our way along the coast and up to Christchurch. It was SO nice to be in a car again for a little while. There is something therapeutic about belting power ballads while cruising along coastal roads.
The Canadian met up with family in Christchurch and we explored the shipping container mall set up close to the red zone.
Rolling out of Christchurch we zigzagged up to a beautiful coastal town called Kaikoura. Face one way, beautiful beaches with miles of thundering waves.
180 degree about face and you are staring at snow capped mountains. To abuse my already overused descriptive word some more....the view was unreal.
I turned into a bum and did a little sun soaking whilst I made some alternate travel plans.....
No comments:
Post a Comment