Friday, March 29, 2013

Turnaround

Continued from: "He's worse than a freakin bug zapper..."

My dignity still in tow, we loaded up Bruno Timberlake Mars and headed out for our coastal drive to Kaikoura.

Skipping through Christchurch, and finally landing in our lovely Kaikoura hostel, Albatross Backpackers, we check in and are promptly shown to our rooms.

Let me just say. I LOVE to read. Seriously. I blew through at least 10 books on this trip. And none of them with pictures.

That being said, when we were taken into our room for the next two nights, I clambered up onto my top bunk and almost giggled with glee at the reading light that was installed right next to my head board. Love this hostel already.

Later that evening, I'm all curled up in my bed have a riot of a conversation with The Professor. He starts asking about bus schedules and a light bulb goes off in my head.

I bolt up right and lean over to KFarms bed....

"K.... he's asking me about bus schedules...."

Her eyes laser focus in on me and a big grin spread over her face. "Really?"

Now, in all fairness, I'm quite sure that this was just a passing thought of "wouldn't it be funny if..."

"Yeah....what if I went back? I don't really want to do anything in particular in the North Island and I need to look at Dunedin again to see if I can really live there for an extended period of time...."

And a plan was hatched.

The trio split up the next day. I hopped a bus back down to Christchurch for the night to catch an early connector to Dunedin. I booked two nights stay at our hostel and informed The Professor of my return. Poor fellow, I don't think he was expecting that.

I didn't want him to get a big ego about the fact that I may or may not have wanted to spend more time with him, so I guiltily fabricated a weak story about having coffee with a friend of a friend to discuss work visas, employment, etc.

Arriving in Christchurch around 4ish in the afternoon, I checked into my lodging for the night, Jailhouse Accommodations. It's exactly what it sounds like, an old correctional facility that has been refurbished into dorm style lodging. And its just as creepy.

Everything clangs and echoes with a general overtone of menace. The beds are clean and comfortable, when is really all I cared about at that moment. Feeling antisocial, I jumped in the shower early, shaved my legs as though my life depended on it and climbed into bed early.

The Professor had ever so graciously agreed to be my chauffeur and tour guide for the next two days in Dunedin and was planning on collecting me from the bus station around 1:45 the next day. He has also kindly offered his house as a place to stay, which I cautiously accept, keeping my hostel book until the last minute just in case he's a nutcase.

I am so excited I can hardly stand it. My leg was jumping up and down the entire 6 hour bus ride back down to Dunedin. With my heart in my throat, the bus crests a hill and Dunedin sweeps out before my feet.

Pulling into the bus station, I do a quick once over of my appearance:
Good butt pants: check
Hair remotely under control: check
Stupid grin plastered to my face: get a grip! Normal face, normal face normal face chanting through my head as I climb off the bus.

Then my feet hit the pavement, I grab my bag turn to my right and BAM.... there is my favorite Kiwi with my name printed on paper, cute grin on his face, looking straight at me. normalfacenormalfacenormalface

Ah fuck it. A big grin creeps across my cheeks and that was the last time I tried to hold it back.

Driving back to his house, I am amazed at how balanced I feel. The constant move, pack, drive, eat, move, etc. routine of the the few weeks had worn more on me than I was aware. Sitting in the passenger seat of a car with a man whom I barely know, I feel so....good. Calm. Free. Giddy. Solid. Its just nice to be taken care of. I don't have to plan, think or drive. I just enjoy.

We drop my stuff at his house (which is, of course, adorable) I internalize as much grinning as I can until he shows me the reading light he set up for my use (whether or not it was actually there before or not, I have no clue, but the fact that he even mentioned it at all was just too cute).

Back in the car, he is like a kid in a candy store. Music flowing through the car, leg jumping, silly grin on his face. He emphatically pats my leg as he tells me bits and pieces of information about things we drive buy. Where he likes to play golf, how awesome the view is from that hill over there, where he likes to run.

We drive out to Tunnel Beach, climbing rocks, sitting on driftwood couches and chatting, I am thoroughly enjoying the burn in my legs from the steep climb up and down to the beach. I haven't moved enough over the last week and it felt good to sweat a little and get my heart pumping again.

Hiking back to the car, we cruise over the St. Claire Beach. Popping into a pub for a "wee pint", I then undergo one of the most important and well demonstrated life lessons that I will ever learn....

How to play cricket.

I like cricket. It's like fancy baseball. Initially confusing, fancy baseball.

The beach is gorgeous as we walk the full length of it, shoes in hand. He points out the most photographed places, the best views, we sneak a kiss as we stroll up through a bush covered path to the overlook.

This. Is. Not. Real. Life.

As we walk back down towards the car, we get an excellent tip on some stellar fish and chips from a friend of a friend. Yes, please.

We quickly order (ok, he quickly orders and I spend too long reading the menu) and its back to the car to drive to an excellent location for eating fish and chips. In the car, parked on a hill overlooking the entire city.

Again, I say....Not Real Life.

Just for shits and giggles, we drive over to another looming hill to enjoy looking down on the city from the other side.

Keep in mind boys and girls - that was all in an afternoon. One. Afternoon.

Monday

Firstly - its a holiday! So I get to steal him for myself all day. Full time tour guiding is a rough life.

I know what you're thinking here....
"Why, goodness LP! You must be absolutely famished. What on earth did you get for breakfast? Twigs and berries?"

No, sweet readers, not even close. He cooks me breakfast.

Let me repeat that.

He cooks me breakfast.

"I'll have it ready by the time your out of the shower." he says.

What dream life have i dropped into?

20 minutes later, I'm squeaky clean and sitting on his couch looking out the window at a sweeeeet view of the city staring down a plate of toast, poached eggs and hot cross buns.

::swoon::

After breakfast, we drive for what seems like no time at all to the start of the Ross Creek Trail. This leads us through dense forest, past a neat waterfall, through evergreens, past water reservoirs and into the beginning of the Pineapple Track.

Side note: If you've read any of this silly blog, you'll note that I ADORE hiking. When I move to Dunedin, I'm telling you now - I'm walking The Pineapple Track every weekend. I will be FIT.

This track was rowdy (for my current level of fitness): I, sadly, was breathing heavy about halfway up from a combination of the view and the climb. After many breathers for my pansy ass, we make it to the top and find a nice little bench to park on and enjoy the view whilst we chow down on the mini pecan pies he so thoughtfully packed that morning.

Again, I find myself unable to ignore how calm and grounded I feel looking down on this city.

ENTER: The "Discussion"

Leaving the track, we head out for a milkshake, and our first disagreement ensues.

The Professors Rules for Vanilla Flavoring
- Not in ice cream cones.
- Not in the car (Editors note: not sure why I have this written in here)
- Yes in milkshakes

LP's Rules for Vanilla Flavoring
- Its boring. Hence why the word "vanilla" is synonymous for "plain", therefore chocolate is better.
- Unless it is being used in my banana bread recipe, then its more than acceptable.

After milkshakes we drive out to Allan's Beach. By far my favorite beach for the whole trip. If you are even in Dunedin, go. Its remote, not crowded and stunning. There were even up close views of blue penguins and fur seals.

Leaving Allan's Beach, we skip into town and pick up his room mate, lets call her Mary Poppins because shes petite and adorable. The Professor, Mary Poppins and I head out for some dinner, eating way too much Thai food (It was Thai right??).

Mary Poppins had other plans for the evening, so The Professor and I walked in town a bit to a pub called The Craic (my current number one favorite pub)

Tuesday

Waking up the next day feeling like a champion, I slept in a bit and prepared myself for a strenuous day of doing absolutely nothing important.

I strolled into town, had a lovely cup of coffee, read my book for a bit, did a little light shopping. Nothing to crazy. I was planning on sun bathing in the Varsity (collegiate area of the town), but the weather was total shit, so I sauntered back to the Octagon and ended up in The Craic again. The last game of the New Zealand vs. England cricket game was conveniently playing in front of an empty couch with a nice fire blazing away in the corner.

It was the perfect spot to land for the rest of the day. I convinced my host to meet me after he was free from work and we watched the end of a very emotional game of cricket. He is so fucking cute when he gets excited that I can hardly stand it. Knee jumping up and down with that silly half smile on his face. You cant not smile at it,

After cricket, we picked up Mary Poppins from work and drove back to his house where she proceeded to cook everyone one hell of a meal:

Lamb Roast
Leeks
Potatoes (from his garden!)
Home made gravy and mint sauce

I've died and gone to heaven.

Wednesday

Wednesday was get my act together day. I took a different route into town, walking through some more residential areas. Trying to get a feel for the area and attempt to imagine myself there for an extended period of time.

Completely doable. Another post to follow as promised on Dunedin itself.

Sporting my favorite polka dot dress, I met The Professor for lunch near the varsity, snagging pizza and eating in the sun.

Next was souvenir shopping, followed by a relaxing hour of reading in the octagon. In closing, I toured The Settlers Museum next to the train station and promptly met my tour guide that afternoon in the park out front.

ENTER: Squash

So, while we're sitting in the park, he asks me if I'd like to watch him play squash that night. "Of course!" I say. Little did I know.

Squash is an odd sport. Not my style for audience participation, BUT I will say, there was something immensely attractive about watching him ref the last game of the night. Numbers have never sounded so enticing. I'm surprised my clothes didn't fall off.

I can now say that I understand what squash is, and that I have no desire to watch it again.

We march back to his house, change for dinner and head out for my real last night in town.

Dinner at Yuki (aka "The Cave")
A sweet little Japanese restaurant tucked in off of an alley (hence The Cave), I was skeptical at first, but this place was amazing! You got to pick and chose several things off of a fairly extensive menu, nibbling here and there on whatever strikes your fancy at the time.

Dumplings, edamame, octopus balls, avocado and salmon miso, spicy chicken, chicken skin, scallops (YUM). Definitely going back here ASAP.

After dinner we went to our first date night pub, Albar, sat in our little window seat and bantered back and forth, I was on cloud nine.

Thursday

Bittersweet. This was the most beautiful and shitty day all at the same time. I packed my stuff that morning, headed to town for a weird tour of the Cadbury Factory, then met The Professor for lunch at my all time favorite place: Velvet Burger. What did I get, you ask? The Homegrown, why of course.

Climbing into his car, we drive a decent ways out of town and start climbing up a gravel road. Arriving at our final destination, Mount Cargill Lookout.

Sitting shoulder to shoulder in the grass eating our twin burgers looking out across literally everything, it was like being on top of the world, so stunning and so far away all at once. I have never wished for inclement, flight canceling weather more in my life than I did on that day.

We get up and he suggests that we walk a little further down the path to see "just another wee view of the city". I cant get enough, so of course I follow.

Coming around the corner of a ridge, its as if the whole world has been cut open. To my lift is rift after rift of mountains. Draped in cascading mist and slowly rippling away into the distance. If you let your eyes travel to the right, you can see Port Chalmers, Allan's beach, and a little more to the right lies Dunedin itself.

He stands behind me, an arm wrapped around me, pointing out places we had been, following the road to Allan's beach, the Pineapple Track, Laying out the last four days via the scenery.

With my flight to Auckland looming precariously in the distant future, we make our way back down to the city. To complete my Dunedin experience, he buys me an ice cream cone from Rob Roy's dairy. (Boysenberry is delicious!)

In accordance with the unreal adventures we've had, we take the long way to the airport. Driving along a coastal road listening to excellent music and talking about how we really must be in a movie.

Pulling up to the airport, I'm accustomed to an american airport drop off. Pull to curb, unload bags, hug, and your off. But no no, he parks the car, carries my bags in, literally checks me in for my flight because I'm too dumbstruck to press buttons, walks me into the cafe area and sits and waits with me for my flight.

Loading started at 5:55, I didn't even get in line for security until 5:50. He walks me to the check point, we say our farewells. I reiterate for the hundredth time that I fully intend to hunt him down again when I'm back in town. I start to say, "I'll see you later" and he just laughs and tells me that he'll wait for me at the window.

And he did. I fly through security, we wave at each other, I blow him a kiss and disappear down the boarding tunnel

I wasn't sure that people like this existed. I've just been in the wrong damn country.

No comments:

Post a Comment